ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Sign up for ThePoultrySite weekly newsletter ThePoultrySite Digital - Read The Latest Issue Here VIV Europe 2014 Digital ThePetSite.co.uk

Go Back   ThePoultrySite Discussion Forum > Pure Breeds and Enthusiasts
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread May 20th, 2011, 18:27

Talking spoilt turkey chick

I hatched 2 lots of turkey eggs within a week of each other , 1st batch had 4 out of 6 and 2nd lot had 1 out of 6 ( not bad seen as they were posted ) .The lonely chick from the second batch hatched well but had problems standing . It wasn't splayed leg i think the poor little might had just worn himself out . i wrapped him up in a childs blanket kinda like a nest and gave him some suger water , within in 2 hours he was up and walking around . I didn't put him in with the older chicks i placed him on his own still in the blanket with a lamp , the following morning he was on his back and couldn't stand again i gave him some food and water and he ate it like no tomorrow . Since then he has had me running circles around him , iv tried putting him in with other turkey chicks and is having on of it , he wont settle down without his blanket . its really quite funny , if i take it from him he just calls for it until i give it him back , he runs straight to it and tries to burry his head . He will have to have it took off him one day i cant imagin a fully grown turkey carrying a comfort blanket .
Kelly
Unread February 1st, 2012, 12:56

It must have bonded with it, will think it's mum! Bless him! Nothing wrong with a comfort blanket until ready to exchange for stuffing and cranberry sauce!
Regards,
Lynn