ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Go Back   ThePoultrySite Discussion Forum > Poultry Health and Welfare
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread March 24th, 2013, 20:31

I hope Houdini is feeling better. I find with tablets if you break it in half, put it inside something like a piece of grape open their beak and just pop it into the back of their throat. i know what you mean about the 'funny walk'. My two rescued girls that I got in September did this for weeks. They were very bald and once they got their feathers they didn't do it again. love Sharon xxxx
Unread March 26th, 2013, 19:49

Tried hiding it & she's too cunning, didn't eat it!
Trouble is due to work I've been too late home in the evening so had to cut back to 1 tablet instead of the 2 she's supposed to have.
She's eating as normal, hand fed her some corn & mealworns which she munched down asap.
Hate it soooo much, must be so miserable for her knowing I'm going to 'get her' first thing in the morning.
Unread March 27th, 2013, 20:22

Sometimes I try my meds in an omelette - take sick chook to an isolated place and pretend it's a treat - especially when the others can see but not munch! M
Unread March 28th, 2013, 19:13

Now then boys & girls, there was a pile of feathers in the hut this morning, is she actually feeling under the weather because she's moulting?
This morning I tried the other way of just putting 2 halfs of a tablet down her neck & worked better than putting it in liquid form.
Unread March 28th, 2013, 19:34

Moulting does definitely make hens lose confidence and seem a little depressed, but it does seem a strange time to be moulting. Has she already moulted during the winter?
Unread March 28th, 2013, 20:06

hi
glad to hear shes on the mend
some breeds moult twice a year and theres also a theory that moulting habits depend on the time of year that a chick is born , most chicks hatch spring and summer and moult late autumn or winter but if born in autumn or winter then it would then mean they moult spring instead
moults also can occur after broodiness, stress or after an illness
my georgie moults several times a year as shes always going broody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my angel moulted heavily in summer after a fox attack.
so if yours has been ill or stressed out then she could easily be having a mini moult - - poultry spice will give her a boost
xxkath
Unread March 30th, 2013, 09:00

My heart was in my mouth last night might have discovered the cause....
Half 5 ish my old hen had gone in for the night so was watching the other 3 out the window, they couldn't see me so I wondered why they all trotted back out & headed towards the garden (stock) fence, watched for a few minutes as they were acting 'alert' then I saw IT, red in colour with a bushy tail intently watching my girls
I never moved so fast in my life just glad I had clothes on!
Totally paranoid now!
Might have been the cause, I've no idea or could be another chook moulting.
She seems a bit better anyway as we had a fight to get the tablet down & she pooped on me!
Unread March 30th, 2013, 11:32

Hope your fence is nice and strong!

Kath - thanks for the interesting info. I always make a note of when my hens moult and there seems to be no pattern at all Didn't know they could moult twice either.
Unread March 30th, 2013, 15:18

that would definately cause enough stress to bring on a mini moult . you can bet thats not the first visit by mr fox and certainly not the last ...they can lie in wait just watching for days before working out their plan of attack
i really hope you can fence him out.
sounds like houdini is getting stronger each day with you - so pleased

helen - im a veritable mine of useless information
heres some more - cockerels also suffer in the moult - all the protein in their diet goes into feather production so they are temporarily infertile ....a major or too long moult can make them permanently infertile
useless info for you as i say but one day you may take the plunge and get a boyfriend for your girls
xkath
Unread March 30th, 2013, 21:40

I doubt it with my penchant for "special needs" hens
I have to confess also I am one of those people who just love their early morning sleep far too much