ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Sign up for ThePoultrySite weekly newsletter ThePoultrySite Digital - Read The Latest Issue Here VIV Europe 2014 Digital ThePetSite.co.uk

Go Back   ThePoultrySite Discussion Forum > Poultry Health and Welfare
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread August 16th, 2006, 03:12

Unhappy worms

My chicks have worms. What do I do to get rid of the worms.
Unread August 16th, 2006, 03:25

How old are they? I'd phone an avian vet to be sure that you can dose young chicks, but I'd probably give them the water soluble run of piperazine, which is a safe and commonly used chicken dewormer. If you can see the worms in the chicks droppings, then they are pretty darn wormy. To start off, I'd be tempted to give them a half dose (half as much drug in the water as recommended) because a massive die-off of worms in such a small chick could kill the chick just as easily as the parasites themselves.

Might not be a bad idea to contact a poultry or avian vet on this one, as chicks are pretty tiny...

Laura
Unread August 24th, 2006, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjones
My chicks have worms. What do I do to get rid of the worms.

Cause : Roundworms-eggs directly move from bird to bird through feces. Tapeworms-transmitted by flies, etc. that contact contaminated feces.

May cause unthriftiness & slow growth. Roundworms-3-6 inches long, pencil lead in diameter. Tapeworms-flat ribbon-like, segmented.To prevent this rotate birds in yards or pens. Screen off areas of heavy fecal deposits.There are various drugs for that.There are currently two basic techniques for controlling strongyle worms in red grouse. One is a direct catch-and-treat method, and the second is an indirect method using quartz grit coated in palm oil, which is then impregnated with an anthelmintic chemical (a worm-killing drug). They both have advantages and disadvantages with neither method achieving 100% worm eradication.

However, by correct implementation of these techniques, reductions in worm burdens are possible, with a corresponding increase in grouse productivity and survival. Using information from our National Gamebag Census, it is also possible to see the effects on grouse bags where estates use medicated grit and or dosing