ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Go Back   ThePoultrySite Discussion Forum > Poultry Health and Welfare
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread August 20th, 2006, 16:35

Default Urgent Help Needed Please

Hello me again

My poor chuck is still with me. Still got runny yellow droppings. I daren't go in the hut in the morning again incase she has died. I wait till she comes out. Well she come out and i went in. One of my other Bovans was still on the perch. I knew somethink was wrong. She is first out and last in. She is so lively. She gets on the table and pinchs our food when we have a barbeque and follows us everywhere if we have a spade in our hands. She loves being with people. She is lovely and i can't lose her. It would be like a big empty hole. She jumps some large heights which she shouldn't. Anyway i got her down and she was off her feet. She made horrible noises and couldn't breath properly. I think she had some sort of heart attack. I put her on antibiotics in case of anythink else. I didn't know what to do. I have her in a box. I knew she would need to lay today. I thought this would stress her. She laid it in two parts the white in a skin first then the yolk come out an hour later. She can stand now but she gets out of breath so i am not letting her stand but just rest. Her comb and face is very pale. She did get a bit of colour and wanted to get up which she would but i make her rest. She gets out of breath again walking too much. She hasn't eat but drinks loads of water and eats a lot of grit. Her droppings are normal. She probably is a bit overweight because she eats everythink but she is very active. There are just some you can't ever imagine ill shes one. I just need to know if its safe to give antibiotics for heart problems. I have also give her some garlic in water. What can i do to help her. I'm not letting her go in the hut tonight i don't want her jumping on the perch. I don't know what to do yet. Any help will be very appreciated Thankyou Maureen
Unread August 20th, 2006, 17:17

Hi Maureen,

If a hen is eggbound with a soft shelled egg, they will be quite miserable- reluctant to move, draggy wings, no appetite, usually bright red combed and they will crave grit and/or calcium. You'll often notice albumen or yolk or membrane coming out her vent. Once she has expelled the egg, she'll feel much better and come around in 24 hours or so. Let's hope this is the case with your hen. The fact that her comb is pale worries me a bit as there is a chance that she can be having internal bleeding from a problem with her ovary. At this point in time, I'd keep up the antibiotics (because you've started her on them already) but cut out the garlic, as it has a tendancy to thin the blood if given in large quantities. If she is having some blood issues, I'd be careful. Instead, see if you can get her to take some kale or broccoli and some spinach even purree some in a blender, mix it with babyfood and syringe feed it to her. The vitamin K and iron in the above veggies is good for blood clotting and anemia. Keep an eye on her- especially her back end- and let us know how she's doing...

Laura
Unread August 20th, 2006, 17:53

Hello Laura
Thankyou very much for the quick answer. I'll let you know what happens. I am letting her sleep indoors with me tonight. Maureen
Unread August 21st, 2006, 16:29

Hello Laura

Well my chuck did start walking about last night and didn't make them horrible noises. I took her indoors last night. She had a good night i didn't. I was up every hour checking on her. Its like when i lost my first one. She was off her legs and died indoors over night. This morning she has got her red comb back and her checky noises. She has been in the nest box today but hasn't laid. She seems back to normal now . I'm so pleased she frightened me. I am still worried and don't know wether to let her in the hut tonight. I can't understand what could have made her be so helpless. I wanted to breath for her. It was like she had a very bad respiratory problem but its gone. Thats why i wondered if it was a heart problem so i'm still scared. Shes been molly coddled alday and told off for scaring me.
I can concentrate on the other one a lot more now. I'm surprised she can live this long with hardly any food and moulting. I understand she needs more vitamins when shes moulting. I have been forcing food down today. I hate doing that as it seems to stress her. Her droppings are still runny yellow. I do understand now that yellow and green means very poorly. The one that was bad yesterday always had droppings a good colour still. I watched for that if they changed. There were two which were very dark nearly black but that was it.

Well hope thats it for my other chuck bless her. Thankyou. Maureen
Unread August 22nd, 2006, 04:43

Sounds like your hen is getting spoiled and is probably better off for it! As long as she isn't too stressed out, keep a close eye on her, especially if she is still visiting the nest box. Means she could have another soft shelled egg in her... Keep her warm, fed and watered, fresh grit within reach and give her more love and attention! As for your other sick hen, keep up the feeding. Yellow urates indicate a liver problem, so the hen may be pretty sick. Green also indicates that the bile is travelling through her digestive system undiluted by food and water- her digestive system is pretty empty. The other cause for yellow droppings is egg peritonitis or an e.coli infection. I'd be tempted to get her going on a stronger antibiotic, like baytril or another antibiotic that gets e.coli (ask your vet as I'm not sure what drugs are effective against e coli). Here's some info on it: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in.../bc/202000.htm

Hope both hens come around for you... Keep up the good work and the spoiling!

Laura