Egg Firm Fined after Worker Loses Fingers01 May 2012
UK - A Worcestershire egg company has been fined £13,000 after a worker severed two fingers while cleaning a drain on a production line.
The 25-year-old employee lost part of his index and middle fingers on his right hand when it came into contact with a heavy duty blade.
A Health and Safety Executive investigation found the risks of cleaning around the blade had not been adequately assessed or controlled and employees were able to reach dangerous moving parts while the blade was running.
Redditch Magistrates' Court heard the business involved was aware of the risks following a similar incident in 2008. The court also heard how the training for this work was carried out by employees who were not qualified to train others.
The company was fined £13,000 and ordered to pay costs of £6,303.
Speaking after Friday’s hearing, HSE inspector Christopher Gregory said: "This incident was entirely foreseeable and easily preventable. The risks of cleaning around the drain had not been adequately assessed or controlled so unfortunately, a much larger price has been paid, not least by their employee.
"This case shows the importance of learning from mistakes and ensuring that formal advice from the HSE is not ignored. Employers have a duty to act on their findings. If Bumble Hole Foods had taken prompt action after the previous incident, this could so easily have been avoided."
ThePoultrySite News Desk