Six out of Ten Australians Go for Roast Chicken07 April 2014
AUSTRALIA - The nation’s favourite home-cooked chicken dishes reflect a diverse Aussie palate, according to the Australian Chicken Meat Industry Federation following a recent consumer poll.
Research released today by the Australian Chicken Meat Federation (ACMF) has revealed the nation's favourite ways to enjoy home-cooked chicken. In top spot is the roast chook (chicken), with 61 per cent choosing it as a favourite way to eat chicken.
Making up the remainder of the top five home prepared favourites were: stir fry (51 per cent), chicken schnitzel (44 per cent), chicken curry (40 per cent) and chicken sandwich/wrap (39 per cent).
Chicken is a key component of the Australian diet with the latest research showing that 94 per cent of the population eat chicken. In fact one-third of Australians who eat chicken do so at least three times a week.
Dr Joanna McMillan, nutritionist and accredited practicing dietitian, commenting on the latest research said: “It’s great to see the classic roast remaining a firm favourite but also interesting to see the mix of cuisines being enjoyed as well as the preferences reflecting our lifestyle, age and gender.
“The diverse range of dishes and cuisines being cooked and enjoyed at home by so many of us is a timely reminder to get food safety on the home cook’s agenda. Whether you’re cooking a roast, or a curry, doing a BBQ or making a salad it’s important to remember the top four food safety rules, especially when handling and preparing chicken:
- Clean – hands, boards, knives
- Chill – keep cold food refrigerated
- Cook – cook thoroughly
- Separate – separate raw food from cooked food.”
Research results also highlighted that roast chicken is especially popular among older Australians, whereas those under 35 years are more likely to opt for stir-fry as a favourite chicken meal.
Preferences between men and women were also evident with men being more likely to opt for a homemade chicken burger over a chicken salad.
When it comes to pieces of roast chicken, breast meat is the clear favourite (46 per cent) over thigh (20 per cent), followed by leg (18 per cent).
Key Findings of Research
The Top Ten most popular home-cooked chicken meals are:
- roast chicken (61 per cent)
- chicken stir-fry (51 per cent)
- chicken schnitzel (44 per cent)
- chicken curry (40 per cent)
- chicken sandwich/wrap (39 per cent)
- chicken cooked on the BBQ (33 per cent)
- chicken salad (33 per cent)
- chicken casserole or stews (30 per cent)
- chicken cooked in a simmer sauce (28 per cent)
- chicken soup (27 per cent).
The research also identified some clear gender and age related differences:
- Chicken burgers are more favoured by men (28 per cent) than women (18 per cent);
- Chicken salad is the reverse with more women favouring this option (38 per cent) than men (27 per cent).
- Chicken burgers, while being favoured by 23 per cent, are much more likely to be selected by a person under 50 (30 per cent) than one who is 50 years or over (13 per cent).