Avinor, Aviagen Share Latest Poultry Health, Management Practices08 May 2014
PERU - On April 15, more than 60 poultry producers from throughout Peru attended a seminar in Lima to learn about some of the most advanced poultry health and management practices.
In a daylong seminar at the Hilton Lima Hotel, attendees listened to world-renowned experts on topics such as advanced genetics and large-scale broiler management.
The eighth edition of the Avinor-Ross® Seminar was once again hosted by Avinor, the Peruvian distributor of Ross broiler breeders, with support from Aviagen®, the world’s largest poultry breeding company. The Aviagen Ross product line is the world’s most popular broiler breeder brand, known for its higher productivity and genetic balance.
The Peruvian poultry industry produces around 48 million broilers each month, nearly double the number produced a decade ago, according to the Peruvian Poultry Association. With the industry looking to increase broiler exports to other countries, Peruvian breeders are working to create more efficient and productive operations. The Avinor-Ross® Seminar covers a variety of topics aimed at helping breeders achieve their growth and productivity goals.
The invitation-only event featured an intensive program with six technical presentations:
- Genetic Advances in Aviagen. Dr. Eduardo Souza, Aviagen’s program geneticist, discussed the selection strategies for broilers and breeders in Aviagen’s balanced breeding program. The presentation also covered the latest selection innovations implemented by Aviagen and anticipated genetic gains for the coming years.
- Basic Breeder Management. Osvaldo Bolinaga, technical services manager with Aviagen Latin America covered breeder management best practices.
- Feeding and Nutrition of the Modern Broiler Breeder. Marcelo Silva, Aviagen technical services nutritionist, explained what it takes to keep broiler breeders healthy and well fed.
- Producing Optimum Quality Baby Chicks. Dr. Jose J. Bruzual, member of the Aviagen Global Veterinary Team, discussed key considerations in the hatchery to maximize hatchability and chick quality. The session also covered egg shell and chick temperature, in addition to other vital factors such as overall temperature, humidity, turning, ventilation, and preventive maintenance.
- Broiler Management in Brazil. Anselmo Micheletti, Aviagen grandparent stock production and technical manager with Aviagen Latin America, explored first-hand lessons, tips and techniques designed to produce maximum profitability and optimal performance, from day-old to processing.
- Keeping a Healthy Gut in Broilers. Dr. Bruzual returned to discuss essential aspects to consider around a healthy gut, such as how a gut-health problem may manifest in the field, and the options available to manage gut-health problems when they occur.
“We’ve worked closely with Avinor from the day it became a Ross distributor in 1998, and we’re delighted to support this 8th edition of the Avinor-Ross Seminar,” said Luis Cesio, regional sales manager for Aviagen in South America. “When people look at the future of the poultry industry in Peru and Latin America as a whole, they look at strategic companies like Avinor, which has the foresight to ensure that its customers always have the latest information to ensure they meet their business goals.”
“This specialized seminar is a great example of how Aviagen works hand in hand with our customers,” said Ricardo Valle, regional technical manager at Aviagen Latin America. “Together we share a common commitment of collaboration that is focused on poultry performance, health, and breeding success.”
|ThePoultrySite News Desk||Read more Aviagen News here|