ThePoultrySite Recipe Section
Turkey Rice Casserole
Ingredients (serves 4)
225g (8oz) Cooked turkey, cubed
475ml (16floz) hot turkey or chicken stock
50g (2oz) Butter
2 medium onions peeled and chopped (sliced)
225g (8oz) Mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
150g (5oz) stuffing, cubed or crumbled
100g (4oz) Ham, diced
2tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
½tbsp fresh thyme leaves or ½tsp dried thyme
salt and freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
200g (7oz) long-grain rice
1tbsp mild curry powder
- Melt 40g (1½oz) butter in a large saucepan. Add the onions and cook for 5mins. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook for another 5mins.
- Place the vegetable mixture into a casserole dish. Add the turkey, stuffing, ham, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper, then stir well to combine.
- Melt the remaining butter in the saucepan. Add the rice and curry powder. Brown, stirring frequently for 5mins.
- Stir the mixture from the pan into the casserole. Pour in the hot sock and cover.
- Transfer to a preheated oven 190ºC, (375ºF) Gas mark 5 and cook for 40mins, until the rice is tender and the stock is absorbed.