converting website visitors

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

USDA Poultry Slaughter


25 November 2013

USDA Poultry Slaughter - 25 November 2013USDA Poultry Slaughter - 25 November 2013


Poultry Slaughter

Ready-to-Cook Weight Up 2 Percent from Last Year

Poultry certified wholesome during October 2013 (ready-to-cook weight) totaled 4.05 billion pounds, up 2 percent from the amount certified in October 2012. The September 2013 revised certified total at 3.60 billion pounds, was up 5 percent from September 2012. The September revision represented an increase of 839 thousand pounds from last month's preliminary pounds certified.

The preliminary total live weight of all federally inspected poultry during October 2013 was 5.35 billion pounds, up 2 percent from 5.25 billion pounds a year ago. Young chickens inspected totaled 4.61 billion pounds, up 4 percent from October 2012. Mature chickens, at 73.3 million pounds, were up 6 percent from the previous year. Turkey inspections totaled 646 million pounds, down 11 percent from a year ago. Ducks totaled 15.1 million pounds, up 6 percent from last year.

Young chickens slaughtered during October 2013 averaged 6.00 pounds per bird, up 1 percent from October 2012. The average live weight of mature chickens was 5.92 pounds per bird, up 2 percent from a year ago. Turkeys slaughtered during October 2013 averaged 29.9 pounds per bird, up 3 percent from October 2012.

Ante-mortem condemnations during October 2013 totaled 10.7 million pounds. Condemnations were 0.20 percent of the live weight inspected, as compared with 0.19 percent a year earlier. Post-mortem condemnations, at 37.3 million pounds, were 0.91 percent of quantities inspected, as compared with 0.87 percent a year earlier.

October 2012 contained 23 weekdays (including 1 holiday) and 4 Saturdays.

October 2013 contained 23 weekdays (including 1 holiday) and 4 Saturdays.

 

Published by USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS)

DOWNLOAD REPORT:- Download this report here

Our Sponsors

Partners


Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management