converting website visitors

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

USDA Poultry Slaughter


25 August 2014

USDA Poultry Slaughter - 25 August 2014USDA Poultry Slaughter - 25 August 2014


Poultry Slaughter

Ready-to-Cook Weight Up 1 Percent from Last Year

Poultry certified wholesome during July 2014 (ready-to-cook weight) totaled 3.89 billion pounds, up 1 percent from the amount certified in July 2013. The June 2014 revised certified total at 3.75 billion pounds, was up 6 percent from June 2013. The June revision represented an increase of 1.95 million pounds from last month's preliminary pounds certified.

The preliminary total live weight of all federally inspected poultry during July 2014 was 5.13 billion pounds, up 1 percent from 5.10 billion pounds a year ago. Young chickens inspected totaled 4.42 billion pounds, up 1 percent from July 2013. Mature chickens, at 69.5 million pounds, were up 2 percent from the previous year. Turkey inspections totaled 626 million pounds, down 3 percent from a year ago. Ducks totaled 15.7 million pounds, up 10 percent from last year.

Young chickens slaughtered during July 2014 averaged 5.95 pounds per bird, up 2 percent from July 2013. The average live weight of mature chickens was 5.92 pounds per bird, up 1 percent from a year ago. Turkeys slaughtered during July 2014 averaged 30.1 pounds per bird, up 1 percent from July 2013.

Ante-mortem condemnations during July 2014 totaled 11.3 million pounds. Condemnations were 0.22 percent of the live weight inspected, as compared with 0.21 percent a year earlier. Post-mortem condemnations, at 36.9 million pounds, were 0.94 percent of quantities inspected, as compared with 0.87 percent a year earlier.

July 2013 contained 23 weekdays (including 1 holiday) and 4 Saturdays.

July 2014 contained 23 weekdays (including 1 holiday) and 4 Saturdays

Published by USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS)

DOWNLOAD REPORT:- Download this report here

Our Sponsors

Partners


Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management