converting website visitors

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

USDA Chickens and Eggs


31 May 2016

USDA Chickens and Eggs - April 2016USDA Chickens and Eggs - April 2016


Chickens and Eggs

April Egg Production Down 1 Percent

United States egg production totaled 8.21 billion during April 2016, down 1 percent from last year. Production included 7.10 billion table eggs, and 1.11 billion hatching eggs, of which 1.02 billion were broiler-type and 93 million were eggtype.

The total number of layers during April 2016 averaged 361 million, down slightly from last year. April egg production per 100 layers was 2,273 eggs, down 1 percent from April 2015.

All layers in the United States on May 1, 2016 totaled 361 million, up 1 percent from last year. The 361 million layers consisted of 302 million layers producing table or market type eggs, 54.8 million layers producing broiler-type hatching eggs, and 3.95 million layers producing egg-type hatching eggs. Rate of lay per day on May 1, 2016, averaged 76.0 eggs per 100 layers, up slightly from May 1, 2015.

Egg-Type Chicks Hatched Down 2 Percent

Egg-type chicks hatched during April 2016 totaled 49.4 million, down 2 percent from April 2015. Eggs in incubators totaled 52.5 million on May 1, 2016, up 8 percent from a year ago. Domestic placements of egg-type pullet chicks for future hatchery supply flocks by leading breeders totaled 240 thousand during April 2016, up 10 percent from April 2015.

Broiler-Type Chicks Hatched Up 1 Percent

Broiler-type chicks hatched during April 2016 totaled 781 million, up 1 percent from April 2015. Eggs in incubators totaled 650 million on May 1, 2016, down slightly from a year ago. Leading breeders placed 7.77 million broiler-type pullet chicks for future domestic hatchery supply flocks during April 2016, up 11 percent from April 2015.

Published by USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS)

DOWNLOAD REPORT:- Download this report here

Our Sponsors

Partners


Seasonal Picks

Animal Welfare Science, Husbandry and Ethics: The Evolving Story of Our Relationship with Farm Animals