converting website visitors

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

USDA Chickens and Eggs


26 September 2016

USDA Chickens and Eggs - August 2016USDA Chickens and Eggs - August 2016


Chickens and Eggs

August Egg Production Up 10 Percent

United States egg production totaled 8.58 billion during August 2016, up 10 percent from last year. Production included 7.44 billion table eggs, and 1.14 billion hatching eggs, of which 1.05 billion were broiler-type and 92.2 million were eggtype. The total number of layers during August 2016 averaged 358 million, up 7 percent from last year. August egg production per 100 layers was 2,395 eggs, up 3 percent from August 2015. All layers in the United States on September 1, 2016 totaled 360 million, up 7 percent from last year. The 360 million layers consisted of 302 million layers producing table or market type eggs, 53.6 million layers producing broiler-type hatching eggs, and 3.66 million layers producing egg-type hatching eggs. Rate of lay per day on September 1, 2016, averaged 76.7 eggs per 100 layers, up 2 percent from September 1, 2015.

Egg-Type Chicks Hatched Down 7 Percent

Egg-type chicks hatched during August 2016 totaled 43.9 million, down 7 percent from August 2015. Eggs in incubators totaled 44.0 million on September 1, 2016, down 5 percent from a year ago. Domestic placements of egg-type pullet chicks for future hatchery supply flocks by leading breeders totaled 242 thousand during August 2016, up 46 percent from August 2015.

Broiler-Type Chicks Hatched Up 1 Percent

Broiler-type chicks hatched during August 2016 totaled 808 million, up 1 percent from August 2015. Eggs in incubators totaled 648 million on September 1, 2016, up 2 percent from a year ago. Leading breeders placed 7.69 million broiler-type pullet chicks for future domestic hatchery supply flocks during August 2016, down 3 percent from August 2015.

Published by USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS)

DOWNLOAD REPORT:- Download this report here

Our Sponsors

Partners


Seasonal Picks

Animal Welfare Science, Husbandry and Ethics: The Evolving Story of Our Relationship with Farm Animals