International Egg and Poultry Review

By the USDA's Agricultural Marketing Service - This is a weekly report looking at international developments concerning the poultry industry, this week looking at the latest in the EU.
calendar icon 15 November 2006
clock icon 4 minute read

2007 World Broiler Meat Export Forecast

Broiler meat exports by major traders are forecast to increase in 2007. World exports are expected to reach a total of 6.7 million tons, an expected increase of 4 percent. Major exporters are expected to have steady sales or increased shipments without any significant shifts in market shares in 2007.

The U.S. market share in broiler meat exports is expected to increase to 37 percent. European Union share is expected to remain constant at 10 percent. Even though European Union exports have been declining over the last couple of years, mainly due to bans on French exports because of AI outbreaks, it is expected to recover in 2007.

Brazil’s world share of exports is expected to drop by one point to 38 percent. Brazil, which has shown annual increases in broiler meat exports over the last six years, is forecast to show a decrease in 2006 exports due mostly to weakening demand in a few of its major export markets. This is a result of economic factors within the country and AI concerns in importing countries. These AI concerns have led consumers to substitute other protein sources for poultry meat. These circumstances have led to an over supply issue in Brazil. With AI concerns expected to decline and as Brazil focuses on using more aggressive marketing strategies on its larger poultry importers, broiler meat exports are expected to rise 2 percent in 2007 to a total of nearly 2.6 million tons.

2007 World Broiler Meat Import Forecast

World broiler meat imports are forecast to go up 3 percent in 2007 to over 5.3 million tons. Russian broiler meat imports are forecast to decline by over 7 percent to nearly 1.2 million tons. The decrease is mainly due to Russia’s broiler production showing another record increase over the previous year. The United States and Brazil are the main broiler meat suppliers to Russia with the U.S. providing about 60 percent of Russia’s needs and Brazil covering most of the remaining 40 percent.

Imports by Japan are forecast to drop in 2007 due to more stable production and higher stocks. Chinese imports are forecast to increase in 2007 and are expected to reach levels similar to those in 2004 when AI concerns were not a trade issue. Mexican broiler meat imports are forecast to grow 6 percent in 2007 even though domestic production has increased. Broiler meat imports in the European Union are expected to increase 15 percent in 2006 and forecast to go up almost 8 percent in 2007 to about 645,000 tons.

2007 World Turkey Meat Forecast

Turkey meat imports by selected countries are forecast to increase to a total of 645,000 tons in 2007. Mexico and the European Union are both forecast to increase turkey meat imports by 5 percent in 2007. Turkey meat exports by major traders are expected to decline 10 percent in 2006 due to AI-concerns and AI related trade bans. Turkey meat exports by major traders for 2007 are forecast to increase 5 percent. U.S. turkey meat exports are forecast to increase 8 percent to 261,000 tons.

To view the full report, including tables please click here

ThePoultrySite News Desk

© 2000 - 2024 - Global Ag Media. All Rights Reserved | No part of this site may be reproduced without permission.