International Egg and Poultry Review

US - By the USDA's Agricultural Marketing Service. This is a weekly report looking at international developments concerning the poultry industry. This week's report focuses on the US poultry situation and outlook.
calendar icon 3 September 2008
clock icon 3 minute read
International Egg and Poultry Review

USDA NASS Total Broiler Meat Cold Storage Holdings (‘000
Pounds) Compared with Total US Broiler Meat Exports (MT)

USDA NASS Leg Quarter (LQ) Cold Storage Holdings (‘000
Pounds) Compared with Total US Leg Quarter Exports (MT)

Source: USDA NASS/USDA FAS/Department of Commerce, US Census Bureau, Foreign Trade Statistics

US Poultry Situation

According to USDA ERS, broiler and turkey meat exports were higher in June 2008 by 2% and 23%, respectively, from June 2007. Second quarter 2008 shipments of broiler and turkey meat totaled 1.79 billion pounds (+25%) and 160 million pounds (+20%), respectively. The increases were attributed to the stronger purchasing power of certain countries, due to the depreciation of the US dollar and increased imports of broiler meat from Korea and Singapore and increased imports of turkey meat from Taiwan, China, Hong Kong and Mexico.

Prior to recent changes, USDA ERS had predicted growth in US poultry meat exports through 2008. However, the report says that the recent political conflicts between the US, Russia and Georgia have sparked Russia to delist and ban 19 US poultry plants effective September 1, 2008 citing health and safety reasons and have warned an additional 29 plants that they face a possible ban for the same reasons. In addition, much of the US poultry industry is watching Mexico’s reaction to the US delisting 7 Mexican meat plants, due to sanitation issues, and is also making preparations for hurricanes Gustav and Hanna, which are currently passing through the Gulf of Mexico.
Source: USDA ERS/News Wires

Top US Broiler Meat Exports by Destinations (MT)

Top US Turkey Meat Exports Destinations (MT)

Source: USDA FAS/Department of Commerce, US Census Bureau, Foreign Trade Statistics

Further Reading

- You can view the full report by clicking here.
© 2000 - 2024 - Global Ag Media. All Rights Reserved | No part of this site may be reproduced without permission.