RTC Weight Down Two Per Cent from Last Year

US - The USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) reports an eight per cent decrease in poultry ready-to-cook (RTC) weights in its monthly Poultry Slaughter report for October 2011.
calendar icon 25 November 2011
clock icon 3 minute read

Poultry certified wholesome during October 2011 (ready-to-cook weight) totaled 3.67 billion pounds, down 2 per cent from the amount certified in October 2010. The September 2011 revised certified total at 3.71 billion pounds, was down 1 per cent from September 2010. The September revision represented an increase of 0.33 million pounds from last month's preliminary pounds certified.

The preliminary total live weight of all federally inspected poultry during October 2011 was 4.86 billion pounds, down 3 per cent from 4.99 billion pounds a year ago. Young chickens inspected totaled 4.12 billion pounds, down 3 per cent from October 2010. Mature chickens, at 68.6 million pounds, were up 6 per cent from the previous year. Turkey inspections totaled 659 million pounds, up slightly from a year ago. Ducks totaled 14.0 million pounds, up 4 per cent from last year.

Young chickens slaughtered during October 2011 averaged 5.88 pounds per bird, up slightly from October 2010. The average live weight of mature chickens was 5.72 pounds per bird, down 3 per cent from a year ago. Turkeys slaughtered during October 2011 averaged 28.3 pounds per bird, down slightly from October 2010.

Ante-mortem condemnations during October 2011 totaled 9.48 million pounds. Condemnations were 0.20 per cent of the live weight inspected, as compared with 0.21 per cent a year earlier. Post-mortem condemnations, at 32.1 million pounds, were 0.87 per cent of quantities inspected, as compared with 0.92 per cent a year earlier.

Both October 2010 and October 2011 contained 21 weekdays (including 1 holiday) and 5 Saturdays.

Further Reading

- You can view the full report by clicking here.
© 2000 - 2024 - Global Ag Media. All Rights Reserved | No part of this site may be reproduced without permission.