Ready-to-Cook Weight Down 7 Percent from Last Year

US - The USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) comment on the poultry weights and slaughter levels in their monthly Poultry Slaughter Report.
calendar icon 31 January 2007
clock icon 3 minute read

Poultry certified wholesome during December 2006 (ready-to-cook weight) totaled 3.18 billion pounds, down 7 percent from the amount certified in December 2005. November 2006 revised certified total at 3.46 billion pounds, was down 1 percent from November 2005. The November revision represented an increase of 20.5 million pounds from last month’s preliminary pounds certified.

The preliminary total live weight of poultry inspected during December 2006 was 4.32 billion pounds, down 6 percent from 4.57 billion pounds a year ago. Young chickens inspected totaled 3.70 billion pounds, down 6 percent from December 2005. Mature chickens, at 58.9 million pounds, were down 12 percent from the previous year. Turkey inspections totaled 542 million pounds, down 2 percent from a year ago. Ducks totaled 16.2 million pounds, down 6 percent from last year.

Young chickens slaughtered during December 2006 averaged 5.47 pounds per bird, down slightly from December 2005. The average live weight of mature chickens was 5.97 pounds per bird, up 5 percent from a year ago. Turkeys slaughtered during December 2006 averaged 28.1 pounds per bird, down 2 percent from December 2005.

Ante-mortem condemnations during December 2006 totaled 14.9 million pounds. Condemnations were 0.35 percent of the live weight inspected, as compared with 0.38 percent a year earlier. Post-mortem condemnations, at 41.6 million pounds, were 1.29 percent of quantities inspected, compared with 1.37 percent a year earlier.

December 2006 contained 21 weekdays (including one holiday) and 5 Saturdays, while December 2005 had 22 weekdays (including one holiday) and 5 Saturdays.

To view the full report, including tables, please click here (PDF format, 14 pages)

ThePoultrySite News Desk

© 2000 - 2024 - Global Ag Media. All Rights Reserved | No part of this site may be reproduced without permission.